Friday, August 28, 2009

I still want a tattoo really badly

Lately I have been reading blog posts here and there about tattoos and all this reading has really me thinking more and more about getting some ink of my own.

About 7-8 years ago a good friend of mine (well she was just a friend at the time and I didn't realize how good and close she would become) and I were talking about tattoos and I told her that I want one but wasn't sure what to get. To that she gave what I think is a really good piece of advice. She told me that if I come up with an idea of a tattoo don't go rush out and get it. Think about it for a long time and if after that long time you still truly and fully want that idea on your body then you should get it.

I think I have reached that point.

For the longest time I have been a big fan of balance. Light/Dark. Yin/Yang. Good/Evil. Pairs in which one cannot survive without the other. This firmly sets in my mind that my tattoo will represent that principle.

But along with a theme you must also have an image. In the last few months I have been researching power animals and totems. Well even before that I've always found the bear to be an interesting creature. In my attempts to learn what my power animal is I am almost certain that it is a bear. When you think about it it works with the theme of balance very well.

The bear is a creature that on one hand can be very caring and nurturing for her cubs but on the other can be very dangerous force to be reckoned with. She can be soft and gentle in the handling of her young but is capable of great destruction and violence. A creature that is massive and can weight several hundred pounds but at the same time can tear through a forest at surprisingly high speed and can sometimes even climb trees (assuming they can support the weight).

The answer is clear. My pair of tattoos would be of two bears. On my right shoulder a polar bear and a pair of cubs snuggled under her to represent my caring and protective side. On my left shoulder a black grizzly bear in an attack posture to represent my ruthless and destructive side.

I've had this on my mind for a good while and now I think I'm ready to get it done but the only problem is that even though said tattoos would be covered and therefore not an issue at work I still have to get them done a time when I would have a few days of recovery time before I am able to cover it up with a shirt.

Rest assured though I will get these tattoos one day.

2 comments:

frau sally benz said...

I got my tattoo on a Friday night when I had the next Monday off (I think it was a holiday).

I like your idea though, it's really cool. I actually went for a similar concept. I like thinking about balance, yin & yang, opposites attracting and such, particularly in terms of how we understand men and women. I got this: http://bit.ly/1JIlzm

Labor Day is on Monday! Get your tattoo this Friday! Ok, that might be a bit soon ;)

Danny said...

You know Sally the only reason I'm not is because I'm short on cash now.

-->