Thursday, June 11, 2009

This should be interesting...

Father's Day is a little over a week away and I'm curious as to what kind of treatment fathers will get this time around. For those of you that didn't know then presidential candidate Barack Obama chose Father's Day 2008 as an opportunity to attack fathers. I kinda wonder what he may have in store for June 21st.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not trying to say that all fathers are good men but at the same time when you take the one day of the year that is supposed to be dedicated to fathers as a chance to attack them I have to wonder how pure your intentions are. Yeah I know you probably want to say that you're only sending a wakeup call to the bad fathers but that does not explain or excuse the choice of that exact day to call them out. As if he could not go with one of the other 364 days in the year. There is no way in hell you can convince me that any politician, especially someone going for the White House, would have the gumption to use Mother's Day as a platform to "only talk about bad mothers".

May 10th of this year was reserved as a day to honor, love, cherish, respect, etc... mothers as it should be. I don't recall any major figures using Mother's Day as a forum to attack them but if they did I'll bet money we would have known about it.

If Father's Day is supposed to be a day for fathers then where is the love, honor, and respect for the dads that have to work through Father's Day to support their families? Where is the love, honor, and respect for the fathers that are no longer with us? Where is love, honor, and respect for the fathers who are sitting somewhere crying their hearts out in pain because they are being unfairly kept away from the very children that graced them with the title of father?

It's real easy to kick dads around for a few extra brownie points but who among them has the guts to actually help those dads out?

3 comments:

womanistmusings said...

Until we had children fathers day was never special to me. When I watch my unhusband play with our kids and the love in his eyes I know how special it is. My smallest is particularly attached to his Dad. I think that it is not too much to ask that for one day a year we celebrate the men that are doing right by their families. If we constantly focus on the negative what incentive is there to do good? We would not be the family we are without him and though I know I could raise my children alone I certainly would not choose that as an option when their father loves them so.

Danny said...

We would not be the family we are without him and though I know I could raise my children alone I certainly would not choose that as an option when their father loves them so.

And that is precisely the family situation a lot of fathers are stuck in. Good honest men are want the joy and responsibility of fatherhood but are forcefully and unfairly kept away by angry vindictive mothers and courts that won't lift a finger to help unless the child support is late.

Danny said...

We would not be the family we are without him and though I know I could raise my children alone I certainly would not choose that as an option when their father loves them so.

And that is precisely the family situation a lot of fathers are stuck in. Good honest men are wanting to experience the joy and responsibility of fatherhood but are forcefully and unfairly kept away by angry vindictive mothers and courts that won't lift a finger to help unless the child support is late.

-->