Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Say it with me now...

A short while ago I tossed my hat in the ring on this Men in Power organization at the University of Chicago. I pointed to a piece on the organization at the University of Washington's web site. The term reverse sexism came up and I said I would get back to it later.

It's later and I'm gonna be blunt.

Reverse sexism is a loaded term. Loaded with bullshit.

Most of the people that use the term buy into the idea that by default sexism is male against female and it is not. I don't care how much you whine about "institutional power" and try to say that female against male sexism isn't really sexism because women don't have power (nevermind the fact that they must have had some sort of power if they were able to commit the sexist act to start with) sexism is about treating someone a certain way because of their gender.

If I fire a woman from her job because she is a woman that is sexism. If a woman fires me from my job because I'm a man that is sexism. Our levels of institutional power have nothing to do with it. It has to do with the fact that we were treated a certain way because of only our gender.

That is the type of stuff the idea of reverse sexism pushes. Hell if you look at the fact that sexism is to treat someone a certain way because of their gender the reverse of that would to...not treat them a certain way because of their gender.

Imagine that.


So folks say it with me, "Female against male sexism is NOT reverse sexism. It is simply sexism."
-->