Friday, June 12, 2009

I'm glad I don't have children and live in Scotland...

If you recall yesterday I was preemptively addressing my concerns over the ill will towards fathers that seem to hit hardest on the one day that should be reserved for the honoring of fathers. Well Robert Franklin reminded me of this bit of Father's Day sexism that happened last year.

Last year several schools in Scotland introduced a ban on the practice of school children making Father's Day cards at school. The reasoning behind the ban?
From the Telegraph:
The politically correct policy was quietly adopted at schools "in the interests of sensitivity" over the growing number of lone-parent and same-sex households.
Alright folks this statement fails for many reasons.

1....politically correct policy...
This is not a good sign. The schools that took part in this ban are deeming that the political climate is more important than the bond of love between a father and child. Such an act also makes the statement that it is okay to dismiss fathers and their contributions to their children's lives.

2....quietly adopted at schools "in the interests of sensitivity"...
For this to have been done for the sake of sensitivity and political correctness one has to wonder why knowledge of ban did not become public until after Father's Day when it was noticed that scores of child did not get to make cards for the day at school. Usually when you make a political statement or are acting in the interests of someone's sensitivity you come out make your statement/act known before hand right? Then why the convert decision making? And I have to wonder if sensitivity was really their motive. If the ban was over the concern for children without fathers in their lives does this mean they are going to ban all card making occasions because they don't apply to a portion of the children?

3....over the growing number of lone-parent and same-sex households.
This has to be the most damning of all. The language is gender neutral and all but if that is so then why was only one gender targeted by the ban? And in the case of a same sex home would someone please tell me who was interested in the sensitivity of the child with two daddies that doesn't have a mommy to make a Mother's Day card for and is then banned from making a Father's Day Cards in school (if there are any of course).

Now that sentence was more than likely from the writer of the article so let's get to some direct quotes from some of directly involved.

Father's advocates rose up to campaign this action and were told by authorities that teachers, "need to react to 'the changing pattern of family life'". We have a bit of a problem here. According to Robert Franklin, "By the way, according to the Office for National Statistics, 75% of Scottish children live with both parents. Of the remaining 25%, who live with single parents, presumably some live with fathers. " So that means that for the sake of sensitivity it was decided to snub the over 75% of children who have fathers in their lives for the feelings of the less than 25% of children who do not. Now I'm not saying that the 25% don't matter and even if the percentages were closer to equal or even reversed when dealing with children is it really fair to implement such a major ban?


"The teachers are aware of the family circumstances of the children in each class and if a child hasn't got a father living at home, the teacher will avoid getting the children to make a card."
I'm not a fan of punishing the group for the actions of the individual and I certainly am not a fan of punishing the group for the circumstances that are beyond the control of the individual. Yes when you ban a class of school children from making cards for an occasion you are punishing them and unless they did something to deserve said punishment you are doing it because of circumstances beyond their control.

This demonstrates a pretty clear intent to send the message that fathers do not matter which is a grave insult to children and fathers.


I was just about to finish this post but I just thought of something else and shame on me for forgetting it sooner. Most of the time when children make cards in class for occasions they are usually making those cards with school supplied materials. Has anyone stop to think about those children who may have been depending on making that card at school because without it they have no other way to get a present to give to their dad on Father's Day?
-->