Wednesday, May 13, 2009

...a single step.

(This post inspired by the spirit to do the most and the best you can regardless of who you are, what you are, or what resources you have. Or you can just call her Renee.)

Anyone that has read the About Me section of my blog here will notice that I'm still making baby steps in regards to creating my way. This would explain why you don't see grand posts of eye popping commentary and world rocking insight (I'll leave that to the likes of Glenn, Daran, and Renee). I'm sure that I'm not the only person that is still at the basic level just as I am sure that there are lots of people who are on the level of the three I mention (and some beyond I'll bet). Well when you have different levels of awareness (or anything for that matter) you are bound to have problems. One of those problems is the difference between what person A is doing and what person B (and C and so on...) is doing to change the world.

All too often people like to condescendingly ask, "What have YOU done?" after mentioning their own accomplishments as if since they have done more than you have means that their comments are worth more than yours. Last time I checked I thought that it was important that you were at least trying to do something and how much you get done didn't make you better than anyone else. And besides no matter how badly people grandstand and claim there isn't, there are actual reasons that limit someone's actions.

Perhaps they are still a beginner and are just discovering activism. Such a person would not go straight to leading protests and appearing on CNN. Perhaps they face physical limitations. I don't mean to try to invoke pity for people who are disabled but at the same time it would be unfair and unrealistic to expect such a person to be able to do all the things that a fully able bodied person could. Perhaps they have limited resources. Would you expect an unemployed person to be able to spare the same donations (money, items, time, etc...) as a person gainfully employed making 5 figures a year?

So be mindful of who you are dealing with before you decide to put their activism on trial.

1 comment:

womanistmusings said...

Thanks so much for writing this. Micro-Activism has been something I have been advocating for years. All that really matters is that we all try. I think many get turned off because they think that they have to make a grand effort whereas a small action done wisely can make so much difference. As you further point out grand actions can make it seem like someone like myself who is differently abled is not making a contribution. I may not be able to walk for the cause but that does not mean I don't give it my all.

-->