Monday, December 1, 2008

This is what feminism is talking about...

Okay anyone that has ever read my blog here can conclude that I am not the biggest fan of feminist. I really don't have problems with the base premise of equality but once its members begin to splinter off into their own variations of feminism things get dicey. But even as a non-feminist (not to be confused with anti-feminist) it's as plain as the nose on my face that shit like this not cool.

I saw this over at Renee's earlier today.

I don't agree with everything that feminists are talking about but I can totally understand where they are coming from. Pirelli is a tire company that makes an annual calendar for its top clients. Well it seems that this year's calendar was designed with a certain "exotic" flavor. Mind you by exotic I mean showing "other" cultures as wild, beastial, and abusive. And there is also the part where the women of that culture (and women of "the normal" culture as well) are targets of the abusive and violent ways of that "other" culture.

When are people going to get to the point where they can do things without resorting to -isms for inspiration?

5 comments:

BigFred said...

When are people going to get to the point where they can do things without resorting to -isms for inspiration?

I have no idea. I'd theorize that as long as there are group problem, group will be around to fight for them and as such are going to be a source of inspiration. Take away the problems and the inspiration will likely follow. BTW, I linked to you on GC, I hope you don't mind (some people don't like to be linked to, let me know if it's a problem).

Danny said...

By all means link me. But in return I'm adding your spot to my blog roll.

Renee said...

Thank you so much for spreading the word about this terrible calendar. I have worked hard to get the word out there about what this company is doing. I don't even have the words to discuss my level of disgust with this calender. I appreciate your support and attention to this....BTW what you did was a feminist act, I think we might just be growing on you ;)

Danny said...

No problem. I've also been told I'm doing God's work without even realizing it but that doesn't mean I'll claim the title of Christian. But if it helps you sleep at night to label it so...

BigFred said...

sure Danny, no problem.

-->