Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I am black and I am a man...

Last year in Cedar Falls John McCain was holding a town hall meeting. During said meeting someone asked if McCain as president:

"would be bold enough to address the issue of equal access to children for fathers that have gone through divorce."

Now I would have expected him, like any other politician, to give some non-answer answer to the question but oh no. He actually had a direct answer. He replied with:

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, I am not going to overturn divorce court decisions. That's why we have courts and that's why people go to court and get a divorce. If I as President of the United States said this decision has to be overturned without the proper appeals process then I would be disturbing our entire system of government... But for me to stand here before all these people and say that I'm going declare divorces invalid because someone feels that they weren't treated fairly in court, we are getting into a, uh, uh, tar baby of enormous proportions."

Now there are two -ist insults in there. Can you pick them out? Take a few minutes while I go to the bathroom.

...

...

...

Okay I'm back. Can you spot the two -ist remarks? More than likely you noticed the "tar baby" at the end of the response. Since this is pretty old news I had to do a bit of searching to look up reactions to the remark and low and behold the only thing he was called out on was his racist remark. Not very surprising. Now do you see the other one? It's okay if you don't know I'll tell you. The ENTIRE remark is offensive to men and especially to the fathers out that have really been treated unfairly by the family court system. Despite what members of a certain group of activists may say misandry is real.

Its good to know that McCain doesn't give a damn about any problems that don't lead to a big political payoff (in the way of money and/or votes) for him. The questioner didn't ask him to start willy nilly overturning divorce court decisions. The question at hand was whether or not he would address the issue, not if he would come down with great vengeance and furious anger with his presidential clout (I'm sure he saves that for people that matter).

While I am thankful that people all over the blogshere caught on to the fact that McCain insulted black people I'm a little saddened that only a few people caught onto the fact that he also dismissed the valid concerns of a good sized portion of the American population. (But we all want equality for everyone right?) While the idea that the issues of white men don't matter sounds a little foreign I'm sure that the idea that a black man only partially counts isn't new at all...

4 comments:

Apers said...

I don't think Tar Baby is racist, it's from an old story about an actual tar baby. It's like blackguard (blaggard?) or niggardly, it sounds racist, but it isn't. I'm not 100% that it's misandrist either, it kind of is in that he jumped from 'getting equal access' to 'overturning court decisions' without any reason - but once he was there obviously he can't just be turning over court judgements, however irrelevant that is.

Danny said...

You're free to think it but have you ever had it used against you?

"I'm not 100% that it's misandrist either, it kind of is in that he jumped from 'getting equal access' to 'overturning court decisions' without any reason"

That's what I was talking about. His remark showed a blatant disregard for men and one of the things that harm men.

Apers said...

No, but I'm not a sticky situation that it's hard to extricate yourself from though. :p I'm not sure what you mean here? How do you use tar baby against someone racistly?

I can't agree with you on the second point either, but explaining why would be long and is beyond me at this point in the morning.

Danny said...

No, but I'm not a sticky situation that it's hard to extricate yourself from though. :p I'm not sure what you mean here? How do you use tar baby against someone racistly?
Its all in the color association. I would think its something like referring to a white person as a cracker, a piece of chalk, etc. Using the color of one's skin as basis for an insult.

I'd be interested in disregarding men that want a fair chance to be in their kids lives because of their gender is not misandrist. But I want you this comment section has a 3000 character limit so depending on how long it is you may have to break it up.

-->