Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The calm before the storm...

The season premiere of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit came on tonight and I think some big changes are gonna happen this season. Just like my Heroes season 3 post last night if you don't want it spoiled then DO NOT READ THIS!!!

Stabler: Stabler has been a truckload of barrels of nitro glycerin for the last 3 or 4 seasons. Sure every once in a while a barrel falls off the truck and blows up but the biggest explosion is yet to come. For the last few seasons he has occasionally bumped heads with his oldest daughter. On tonight's episode she stole his credit card and maxed it out. For a while now he and Fin have not been the best of friends and things came to a head last season when the tension almost got physical. But there are two issues that really concern me. First is the fact that despite the fact that recommended time an officer spends in SVU (due to the nature of the crimes) is about 2-3 he has been there for over 10. That is a lot of pressure, rage, anger, frustration, and pain to carry and I get the feeling one day its going to bring him down. And I don't mean like that one episode where he snapped and beat up a victims dad or when he told a counselor that he dreamed of killing criminals. I mean he is going to go fucking crazy. The other issue is that I don't think he is going to notice the fact that...

Benson:...still has not fully come to terms with the fact that she was nearly raped while on an undercover assignment last season. And by nearly I mean that when Fin got to her the guy had her on her knees with his pants down and his penis only inches away from her face (in fact her description of his penis is what brought him down). I have to say that it was horrible to see a such a strong person to put in such a position of helplessness. The premiere episode ended with her talking to a counselor about what happened to her and she was going through the exact same feelings of "I should have known better. I should not have let him take me down there." self blaming that she has seen in countless victims. I'm just as worried about her as I am of Stabler. While he may fly off the handler I get the feeling that she may lose her confidence which will lead to second guessing that will not have a happy ending.

Fin: As I said Fin and Stabler are pretty much on "deal with each other only as necessary" terms with each other. In fact at the end of last season after almost getting in a fight with him Fin put in a request to transfer out of SVU. The problem is the Chief of Detectives (the person with final say on transfers) is a former coworker of his who is holding a major grudge against him which basically means he's going nowhere for now. Perhaps he and Stabler will reconcile. Perhaps something is going to speed along his transfer request. Or perhaps the tension between Fin and Elliot will be resolved in another way...

Munch: I've been noticing for the last few seasons Munch has been fading into the background. A while back he proposed the idea to Fin to open up a bar. In this episode he mentions that idea like 3-4 times. He also seems to take to heart the fact that Fin is leaving him just like Cassidy, Jefferies, all of his other past partners, and all his ex-wives did. Honestly I worry about him the most because I really think something is going to happen to Munch. Retirement and finally get that bar open? Get fired? Or perhaps killed in the line of duty?

Kregan: He seems to be the most stable of the bunch right now.

Novak -> Grayleck: Last season ended with ADA Novak getting caught lying about evidence during a trial by Judge Donnelly. Novak has always been one to play with fire and now that she is gone its safe to say that she finally got too close. Her replacement is Kim Grayleck . She transfered from DC where she was working on legislation and she seems to have an agenda. At the end of the episode she says that is actively working being the first ADA to have rape classified as a hate crime (under the notion that a rapist specifies their target by gender, one of the criteria of a hate crime). I wonder if she'll suffer the same fate at Novak...

I have to say that TV seems to be picking up this season. And to all this tide me over until the final episodes of Battlestar Galactica air next year.

3 comments:

ouyangdan said...

I like finding out that I am not the only person who ponders the lives of people I watch on the teevee.

I get a little involved in characters, for some reason it is a sort of emotional release that I need.

Thanks for making me feel a little more normal.

I haven't watched SVU in a couple of years. I used to be a L&O junkie until Orbach died on the original series...but I used to watch all three. I thought what you said about Stabler back then.

frau sally benz said...

I thought BSG was supposed to come back this fall?!?! Darn them! Somebody should tell them that claiming it's the final season split in half and then making people wait a year is really just two seasons...

I think they're prepping us for a major Stabler blow-up. I thought he was going to hit his daughter in this episode. I also think it's so sad that he doesn't realize what's wrong with Benson.

And I've grown rather fond of Ice T as Fin. Wow, never thought I'd say that!! I hope he sticks around for a bit longer. Munch is outta there, for sure.

Danny said...

Mind you I got that next year estimate for the final run of BSG from wikipedia and there are enough maybes, possibles, and likelys to put that in doubt.

-->