Friday, August 15, 2008

Its been a while since my last post...

I've been a bit busy this week so I haven't had much time to post. So here are a few things I've come across this week:

This is just sad.
You are reading that right. A man is dying of cancer and instead of getting the chance to see his dear daughter one last time he is being "allowed" by the family court to leave behind a DVD and a letter to her that has to be approved by the the daughter's lawyer.


Renee ponders why Madonna seems to be going on a adoption spree of foreign children. Personally I think its just a part of the Cycle of Reinvention that she seems to be locked in. Don't act like you haven't noticed how Madonna comes up with a different image about every ten years or so, releases about 2-3 albums, disappears for a few years, rinse and repeat.


Check out the bi-monthly Carnivaal Against Sexual Violence.


Seeing eye to eye. About three weeks ago a Guiness ad was released on the internet. Now before I explain the ad first know that this is NOT an official Guiness ad. So don't go throwing all your Guiness out (and besides that stuff ain't cheap). Get your minds right for this.

The ad shows a beer (Guiness of course) on a woman's back and said beer is rocking. A few seconds later from behind the woman a guy's hand grabs the beer and takes a swig...and then a second guy from in front of the woman grabs for a swig...and finally a third guy reaches from underneath and takes a swig. The "moral" is supposed to be, "Share one with a friend...or two." Yes that exact text appears on the ad.

Plain and simple the ad is offensive. It basically states that women are to be shared like beer. I don't know about you folks but I am pretty damn sure it rude, crude, and disrespectful to compare a woman to a beer.

But the funniest thing I noticed is that there are MRAs, feminists, and everyone in between (thats where I fall) that all agree that this add is offensive. Don't believe me? Check those two links. They are links to Shakesville and Glen Sacks. Yea there is a bit of nonsense to go through but look at the overall reaction and you'll see that a good number of people on both sites agree that this ad is offensive.


Okay so I haven't done that much reading this week. I did say I was busy...

1 comment:

Renee said...

Don't act like you haven't noticed how Madonna comes up with a different image about every ten years or so, releases about 2-3 albums, disappears for a few years, rinse and repeat.

How very true unfortunately those children will still be with her after she is done with save the African babies.

-->